Lesson 2 - Names of White Keys
1. IntroductionIn this lesson, you will learn to name all of the white keys on the piano keyboard. The white keys on the piano are named after seven letters of the alphabet. They are A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. However, the musical alphabet starts with the letter C, not A. This is because C is the most basic note in music. As you continue with Zebra Keys lessons, you will find out more on why this is true. So, the musical alphabet consists of C, D, E, F, G, A, B. Let's use the musical alphabet to name the white keys on the piano keyboard!
2. Finding CRemember, the musical alphabet begins at note C, not A. So let's find C. Locate any group of two black keys. The white key that is to the left of the group of two black keys is C.
3. Finding DLet's find D. D is located in the middle of the group of two black keys.
4. Finding ELet's find E. E is located to the right of the group of two black keys.
5. Finding FLet's find F. F is located to the left of the group of three black keys.
6. Finding GLet's find G. G is located between the first and second black keys of the group of three black keys.
7. Finding AAfter G, remember that there is no H. Once you get to G, the next white key is A. Let's find A. A is located between the second and third black keys of the group of three black keys.
8. Finding BLet's find B. B is located to the right of the group of three black keys.
9. Review of All the White Key NamesLet's take a look at all the white key names that you have just learned.
10. ConclusionCongratulations, you have just learned the musical alphabet and how to use it to name the white keys on the piano keyboard!
Now try out what you have just learned on our virtual piano keyboard below...
|Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view the Flash demos above|
Lesson 1 Patterns of the Piano Keys
Lesson 2 Names of White Keys
Lesson 3 Names of Black Keys
Access FREE Keyboard Trainer to TEST your piano skills after completing Lessons 2 & 3
Lesson 4 Piano Grand Staff
Lesson 5 Note Durations
Access 50 Free Piano Lessons
Learn the Names of White Keys
Access FREE Note Trainer to TEST your piano skills after completing Lesson 4
Lesson 6 Brother John
Lesson 7 London Bridge is Falling Down
Lesson 8 Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Lesson 9 Major Chord
Lesson 10 Three Primary Chords
Lesson 11 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression
Lesson 12 12 Keys of Music
Lesson 13 Major Scale
Lesson 14 Intervals
Lesson 15 Chords of the Major Scale
Lesson 16 The Circle of Fifths
Lesson 17 Chord Inversions
Lesson 18 Double Chord Pattern
Lesson 19 Broken Chord Pattern
Lesson 20 Arpeggio Chord Pattern
Lesson 21 Sounds of the Orient
Lesson 22 Mysterious Sounds
Lesson 23 Arpeggios
Lesson 24 America (My Country Tis of Thee)
Lesson 25 Silent Night
Lesson 26 God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Lesson 27 Minor Chord
Lesson 28 Three Secondary Chords
Lesson 29 Dominant 7th Chord
Lesson 30 Major 7th Chord
Lesson 31 Minor 7th Chord
Lesson 32 Natural Minor Scale
Lesson 33 Chords of the Natural Minor Scale
Lesson 34 Melody as Octaves
Lesson 35 Root Chord Pattern
Lesson 36 Harmony Notes
Lesson 37 Major Chord Inversions
Lesson 38 Chord Inversion Straddles
Lesson 39 The First Noel
Lesson 40 Auld Lang Syne
Lesson 41 Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Lesson 42 Diminished Chord
Lesson 43 Augmented Chord
Lesson 44 6th Chords
Lesson 45 Sus2 Chords
Lesson 46 Sus4 Chords
Lesson 47 Major 9th Chords
Lesson 48 Major 11th Chords
Lesson 49 Major 13th chords
Lesson 50 Borrowed Chords (COMING SOON!)
Lesson 51 Blues Scale
Lesson 52 Transposition (COMING SOON!)
Lesson 53 Modulation (COMING SOON!)
Download Free Sheet Music
Free Interactive Music Toolsto TEST your piano skills:
50 Free Piano Lessons
- Lesson 1 - Patterns of Piano Keys
- Lesson 2 - Names of White Keys
- Lesson 3 - Names of Black Keys
- Lesson 4 - Piano Grand Staff
- Lesson 8 - Learn to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"
- Lesson 9 - Major Chords
- Lesson 14-Intervals
- Lesson 18-Double Chord Pattern
- Lesson 22-Whole Tone Scale
More..... List of Free Piano Lessons
Five Finger Exercise
A Dozen a Day: Technical Exercises for the Piano to Be Done Each Day Before Practicing
- Click to access the Z-Board Virtual Piano below to practice the piano finger exercise.
Also use it to practice the skills you have learned in the "Piano Basics" Section - Piano Layout.
See all of our Free piano lessons
- Learn Songs - Learn 3 Easy Songs, free Virtual Piano provided
- Chords - Learn how to construct Major Chords & more
- Music Theory - Key Signatures, Major Scales, Intervals & more
- Improvisation - Chord Inversions, and different Chord Patterns
- Techniques - Piano Techniques for beginners