Lesson 11 - 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression
1. IntroductionIn this lesson, you will learn about the chords used in the 12 bar blues chord progression. When you see a group of blues musicians play together, everyone magically seems to know what to play. This is because they are following the format of the 12 bar blues chord progression. The blues have been used as a basis for many types of music such as pop and rock.
2. Explanation of the 12 Bar Blues Chord ProgressionLet's explain what the 12 bar blues chord progression refers to. 12 bar refers to the number of measures used in playing the blues. If you remember, another name for measures is bars. So in the blues, musicians just repeat these 12 measures or bars of music over and over again. Chord progression refers to the order in which chords are used in these 12 bars. In blues, the three primary chords are used. Below is the chord progression for the 12 bar blues.
1st four measures, or bars: I, I, I, I
2nd four measures, or bars: IV, IV, I, I
Last four measures, or bars: V, IV, I, I
3. Playing the 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression in the Key of CLet's take a look at the chord progression for the 12 bar blues chord progression in the key of C.
1st four measures, or bars: C, C, C, C
2nd four measures, or bars: F, F, C, C
Last four measures, or bars: G, F, C, C
Below is an animation of the chords used in the 12 bar blues chord progression in the key of C.
4. Playing the 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression in All 12 KeysYou can play the I, IV, and V chord in the 12 bar blues chord progression in all 12 keys.
Below is a list of the I, IV, V chords of the 12 bar blues chord progression in all 12 keys.
A, D, E
Bb, Eb, F
B, E, F#
C, F, G
Db, Gb, Ab
D, G, A
Eb, Ab, Bb
E, A , B
F, Bb, C
F#, B, C#
G, C, D
Ab, Db, Eb
5. ConclusionThe 12 bar blues chord progression is used by blues musicians to play the blues. The 12 bar blues chord progression is the basis for many pop and rock songs.
Lesson 8 Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Beginner Chord Lessons
Lesson 9 Major Chord
Lesson 10 THREE PRIMARY CHORDS
Lesson 11 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression
Access FREE Chord Ear Trainer to TEST your piano skills (see Lesson 9 above)
Lesson 12 12 KEYS OF MUSIC
Download Free Sheet Music
Alfred's Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course
The New, Easy and Fun Way to
Teach Yourself to Play( Book & CD)
Free Interactive Music Toolsto TEST your piano skills:
50 Free Piano Lessons
- Lesson 1 - Patterns of Piano Keys
- Lesson 2 - Names of White Keys
- Lesson 3 - Names of Black Keys
- Lesson 4 - Piano Grand Staff
- Lesson 8 - Learn to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"
- Lesson 9 - Major Chords
- Lesson 14-Intervals
- Lesson 18-Double Chord Pattern
- Lesson 22-Whole Tone Scale
More..... List of Free Piano Lessons
Five Finger Exercise
A Dozen a Day: Technical Exercises for the Piano to Be Done Each Day Before Practicing
- Click to access the Z-Board Virtual Piano below to practice the piano finger exercise.
Also use it to practice the skills you have learned in the "Piano Basics" Section - Piano Layout.
See all of our Free piano lessons
- Learn Songs - Learn 3 Easy Songs, free Virtual Piano provided
- Chords - Learn how to construct Major Chords & more
- Music Theory - Key Signatures, Major Scales, Intervals & more
- Improvisation - Chord Inversions, and different Chord Patterns
- Techniques - Piano Techniques for beginners