Lesson 11 - 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression
1. IntroductionIn this lesson, you will learn about the chords used in the 12 bar blues chord progression. When you see a group of blues musicians play together, everyone magically seems to know what to play. This is because they are following the format of the 12 bar blues chord progression. The blues have been used as a basis for many types of music such as pop and rock.
2. Explanation of the 12 Bar Blues Chord ProgressionLet's explain what the 12 bar blues chord progression refers to. 12 bar refers to the number of measures used in playing the blues. If you remember, another name for measures is bars. So in the blues, musicians just repeat these 12 measures or bars of music over and over again. Chord progression refers to the order in which chords are used in these 12 bars. In blues, the three primary chords are used. Below is the chord progression for the 12 bar blues.
1st four measures, or bars: I, I, I, I
2nd four measures, or bars: IV, IV, I, I
Last four measures, or bars: V, IV, I, I
3. Playing the 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression in the Key of CLet's take a look at the chord progression for the 12 bar blues chord progression in the key of C.
1st four measures, or bars: C, C, C, C
2nd four measures, or bars: F, F, C, C
Last four measures, or bars: G, F, C, C
Below is an animation of the chords used in the 12 bar blues chord progression in the key of C.
4. Playing the 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression in All 12 KeysYou can play the I, IV, and V chord in the 12 bar blues chord progression in all 12 keys.
Below is a list of the I, IV, V chords of the 12 bar blues chord progression in all 12 keys.
A, D, E
Bb, Eb, F
B, E, F#
C, F, G
Db, Gb, Ab
D, G, A
Eb, Ab, Bb
E, A , B
F, Bb, C
F#, B, C#
G, C, D
Ab, Db, Eb
5. ConclusionThe 12 bar blues chord progression is used by blues musicians to play the blues. The 12 bar blues chord progression is the basis for many pop and rock songs.
Use Virtual Piano Keyboard below to practice what you have learned in Lessons 9 thru 11
Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view our Virtual Piano below, or animation demos in Lesson 9, Lesson 10, or Lesson 11.
Use interactive ZebraKeys' Z-Board below in conjunction with the lesson on this page. Learn to play all of the "Major Chords". See Instructions for using Z-BoardLesson 9 - Playing the Major Chord
Lesson 10 - Three Primary Chords
Lesson 11 - 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression
Piano Chords & Progressions: The Secret Backdoor to Exciting Piano Playing!
The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences
Includes all the Major, Minor
(Natural, Harmonic, Melodic) & Chromatic Scales
Free Tutorials -
Learn different types of Chords:
Minor Chords, Three Secondary Chords & more
Lesson 9- Major Chords
Access Free Online Music Tools
Lesson 10- Three Primary Chords
The Chord Wheel: The Ultimate Tool for All Musicians (See all Songbooks)
Hal Leonard Keyboard Style Series (Keyboard Instruction)
Lesson 11Blues Chord Progressions
Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course
Level 1 - A Beginning Course for
Adults who prefer a Chord Approach
Free Online Reference -Access online Virtual Piano Chord Chart to find any Chords & Scales
Browse Piano Keyboards & Accessories
Chords - Beginner | Intermediate | Advanced
See all Chords lessons
Access Free online Chord Ear Trainer
to Test your skills now!
Free Interactive Piano Chords Chart
Play Piano in a Flash
Play Your Favorite Songs Like a Pro -- Whether You've Had Lessons or Not!
Blues Piano: Hal Leonard Keyboard Style Series (Keyboard Instruction)
Basic skills you need, from comping to soloing
Learn the theory, the tools, and the tricks that the pros use
Watch video (below) - How to play C Major Scale
(practice playing this on your piano, or use our Virtual Z-Board below)
Click to view how to play all Major Scales
Use Circle of Fifths diagram to find three primary chords in any keys:
Click above to download the Circle of Fifths diagram
Yamaha EZ-200 61 Full-Sized Touch Sensitive Lighted Keyboard Bundle, from $139.99
Learn how to play "Yankee Doodle" with Free sheet music
50 Free Piano Lessons
Lesson 1 - Patterns of Piano Keys
Lesson 2 - Names of White Keys
Lesson 3 - Names of Black Keys
Lesson 4 - Piano Grand Staff
Lesson 8 - Learn to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"
Lesson 9 - Major Chords
Lesson 18-Double Chord Pattern
Lesson 22-Whole Tone Scale
More..... List of Free Piano Lessons
Five Finger Exercise
Learn Songs - Learn 3 Easy Songs, free Virtual Piano provided
Chords - Learn how to construct Major Chords & more
Music Theory - Key Signatures, Major Scales, Intervals & more
Improvisation - Chord Inversions, and different Chord Patterns
Techniques - Piano Techniques for beginners
Use the Virtual Piano below to practice the piano finger exercise.
Use this piano in conjunction with all of our Free piano lessons.
Use the virtual piano keyboard below to practice what you've learned in the "Piano Basics" Section - Piano Layout. You can play this Virtual Piano Z-Board in two ways:
1. For playing melodies with the right hand
Use computer mouse to click directly on any key (note highlighted in RED) to play that note, or2. For playing chords with the left hand
Press on any corresponding button (key highlighted in BLUE) on your computer keyboard to play that particular note (this feature is used when playing chords - you have to first click on the virtual piano once to activate this feature)
e.g. Press "Shift" on the computer
keyboard to play "C" note,
Press "S" to play "E" note, and so on.
To play C Major Chord (C-E-G) -
Hold down "Shift"-"S"-"F" keys on
the computer keyboard at the same time. See sample below:
Access Major Chord chart
Play on Z-Board using the mouse to click directly Press these keys on the computer keyboard __________ __________ __________ C chord C - E - G Shift - S - F G chord G - B - D F - B - N F chord F - A - C D - G - Sp Dm chord D - F - A A - D - G
Access the "Piano Basics" section to learn the layout of piano keyboard. Learn how to read music - Music Notations. Next - Use this interactive Z-Board to practice playing easy popular songs.
Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view our Virtual Piano Keyboard
50 Free Piano Lessons | Piano Layout | Learn Major Chords
Learn how to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Free Piano Lesson
Learn how to play Major Scale - Watch the video below:
DownloadAngels We Have Heard On High | Deck The Halls | Jingle Bells | This Old Man | Oh Susanna | Yankee Doodle & More!
Free Sheet Music for Beginners
Free Interactive Music Tools
Learning with Songs
Learn Numbers Song for Children
Access new virtual ZebraKeys Z-Board game to TEST your piano skills
Download it for Free in App Store, and you will be able to use this keyboard to play songs we have learned in the Learn Songs Section:
Download Free Sheet Music for Fur Elise