Basic Music Notation
Lesson 4 - Grand Staff: Diagram of the Piano Keyboard
1. IntroductionIn this lesson, you are going to learn how to represent the keys you learned in music notation. Music notation is used to record music in written form. Music notation is written on what is called a musical staff. In piano, two staves are used. These two staves combine to form what is called the grand staff.
2. The Music StaffLet's take a look at the musical staff. Think of it as a visual representation of the piano keyboard. Each line and space on the staff represents a white key on the piano keyboard. Moving notes up on the staff from line note to space note or space note to line note corresponds with moving to the right on the piano keyboard.
3. Clef SignsLet's take a look at clefs. To make each space and line represent a specific white key on the piano, clef signs are used. Piano music uses two clef signs, the treble clef, also called the G clef, and the bass clef, also called the F clef.
4. Treble ClefLet's take a look at the treble clef, also known as the G clef. The G clef makes the line that the circular part of the G clef sign wraps around a G above middle C. From this, you can figure out what the rest of the notes are.
5. Bass ClefLet's take a look at the bass clef, also known as the F clef. The line between the two dots of the F clef is where the F below middle C goes. From here you can figure out the rest of the notes.
6. Grand StaffThe two staffs combine together to form the grand staff. You'll notice that middle C appears in two different places on the grand staff. Actually, the line that the middle C appears on is the same line. In order to make the grand staff easier to read, the line between the two staves were removed and the two staves were spaced further apart.
7. ConclusionGood work! You have just learned how to represent the keys on the piano keyboard as music notation.
Now try out what you have just learned on our virtual piano keyboard below...
Use Virtual Piano Keyboard in Lessons 1 thru 3 to practice what you have learned
Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view our animation demos in Lesson 1, Lesson 2, or Lesson 3.
|Table of Contents - 50 Free Piano Lessons | Access Free online Virtual Piano | Browse Piano Keyboards|
Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano (Book & DVD):
Everything you need to know to start playing now!
Whether you're a beginner with no prior musical training
Lesson 1 - Piano Layout
Lesson 2 - Piano Basics:White Keys Names
Lesson 3 - Black Keys Names
Lesson 4 - Diagram of Piano Grand StaffTest your skills Now!
Free Music Tool -
Lesson 5 - Note Durations
Test your skills Now!
Free Music Tool -
Search more topics:
Click & Learn how to play these Songs below:
Alfred's Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course
The New, Easy & Fun Way to Teach Yourself
Includes Book & CD, 60 Musical Examples
Teaching Little Fingers to Play
For Earliest Beginners combining
rote and note approach
Piano Keyboards - Casio, Yamaha, and more
John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course - Part 1 - Book/CD Pack
Learn to play:
Yankee Doodle | Camptown Races | I'm A Little Teapot
Access Online -
Free Music Training Tools
Learn how to play This Old Man
Use interactive Z-Board below to play songs now!
Virtual Piano - ZebraKeys' Z-Board
Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view it:
Learn "Brother John"
To learn more songs - Click on "Learn Songs"
Learn Song - Brother John
Casio CTK-2300 61-Key Premium Portable Keyboard Package with Headphones Stand & Power Supply Huntington KB54 54-Key Portable Electronic Keyboard, Black, Under $47
Learn how to play Camptown Races
Alfred's Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course
The New, Easy and Fun Way to Teach Yourself to Play( Book & CD) (Abpl)
50 Free Piano Lessons
Lesson 1 - Patterns of Piano Keys
Lesson 2 - Names of White Keys
Lesson 3 - Names of Black Keys
Lesson 4 - Piano Grand Staff
Lesson 8 - Learn to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"
Lesson 9 - Major Chords
Lesson 18-Double Chord Pattern
Lesson 22-Whole Tone Scale
More..... List of Free Piano Lessons
Five Finger Exercise
Learn Songs - Learn 3 Easy Songs, free Virtual Piano provided
Chords - Learn how to construct Major Chords & more
Music Theory - Key Signatures, Major Scales, Intervals & more
Improvisation - Chord Inversions, and different Chord Patterns
Techniques - Piano Techniques for beginners
Use the Virtual Piano below to practice the piano finger exercise.
Use this piano in conjunction with all of our Free piano lessons.
Use the virtual piano keyboard below to practice what you've learned in the "Piano Basics" Section - Piano Layout. You can play this Virtual Piano Z-Board in two ways:
1. For playing melodies with the right hand
Use computer mouse to click directly on any key (note highlighted in RED) to play that note, or2. For playing chords with the left hand
Press on any corresponding button (key highlighted in BLUE) on your computer keyboard to play that particular note (this feature is used when playing chords - you have to first click on the virtual piano once to activate this feature)
e.g. Press "Shift" on the computer
keyboard to play "C" note,
Press "S" to play "E" note, and so on.
To play C Major Chord (C-E-G) -
Hold down "Shift"-"S"-"F" keys on
the computer keyboard at the same time. See sample below:
Access Major Chord chart
Play on Z-Board using the mouse to click directly Press these keys on the computer keyboard __________ __________ __________ C chord C - E - G Shift - S - F G chord G - B - D F - B - N F chord F - A - C D - G - Sp Dm chord D - F - A A - D - G
Access the "Piano Basics" section to learn the layout of piano keyboard. Learn how to read music - Music Notations. Next - Use this interactive Z-Board to practice playing easy popular songs.
Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view our Virtual Piano Keyboard
Download Free sheet music for this song.
50 Free Piano Lessons | Piano Layout | Learn Major Chords
Learn how to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Free Piano Lesson
Learn how to play Major Scale - Watch the video below:
DownloadAngels We Have Heard On High | Deck The Halls | Jingle Bells | This Old Man | Oh Susanna | Yankee Doodle & More!
Free Sheet Music for Beginners
Free Interactive Music Tools
Learning with Songs
Learn Numbers Song for Children
Access new virtual ZebraKeys Z-Board game to TEST your piano skills
Download it for Free in App Store, and you will be able to use this keyboard to play songs we have learned in the Learn Songs Section:
Download Free Sheet Music for Fur Elise
Copyright © 2006-2014 Zebra Keys. All rights reserved.