Lesson 19 - Broken Chord Pattern
1. IntroductionIn this lesson, you will learn a technique to make the left hand parts more interesting when playing songs.
Step 1: You will take a look at "London Bridge is Falling Down", in which the left hand plays the chords together.
Step 2: You will take a look at what happens when you break up the left hand chords into two parts.
2. Step 1: Playing Chords TogetherBelow is an animation of "London Bridge is Falling Down" with the left hand chords being played together.
3. Step 2: up Chords into Two PartsBelow is an animation of "London Bridge is Falling Down" with the left hand chords being played in two parts. The left plays the root of the chord first, and then plays the rest of the notes in the chord after that.
4. ConclusionCongratulations, you have just played "London Bridge is Falling Down" using the broken chord pattern. This is one of many different patterns you can use to make the songs you play sound more interesting. Try this pattern with other songs as well!
|Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view the lesson with Flash Demos above|
Lesson 16 The Circle of Fifths
Piano Improvisation for BeginnersLesson 17 Chord Inversions
Lesson 18 Double Chord Pattern
Lesson 19 Broken Chord Pattern
Lesson 20 Arpeggio Chord Pattern
Lesson 21 Sounds of the Orient
How to Play from a Fake Book
A "teach yourself" book introduces you to
Chord building, Various rhythmic styles, and much more
Free Interactive Music Toolsto TEST your piano skills:
50 Free Piano Lessons
- Lesson 1 - Patterns of Piano Keys
- Lesson 2 - Names of White Keys
- Lesson 3 - Names of Black Keys
- Lesson 4 - Piano Grand Staff
- Lesson 8 - Learn to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"
- Lesson 9 - Major Chords
- Lesson 14-Intervals
- Lesson 18-Double Chord Pattern
- Lesson 22-Whole Tone Scale
More..... List of Free Piano Lessons
Five Finger Exercise
A Dozen a Day: Technical Exercises for the Piano to Be Done Each Day Before Practicing
- Click to access the Z-Board Virtual Piano below to practice the piano finger exercise.
Also use it to practice the skills you have learned in the "Piano Basics" Section - Piano Layout, and Music Notations - Clef Signs and more
- See all of our Free piano lessons
- Learn Songs - Learn 3 Easy Songs, free Virtual Piano provided
- Chords - Learn how to construct Major Chords & more
- Music Theory - Key Signatures, Major Scales, Intervals & more
- Improvisation - Chord Inversions, and different Chord Patterns
- Techniques - Piano Techniques for beginners