Lesson 19 - Broken Chord Pattern
1. IntroductionIn this lesson, you will learn a technique to make the left hand parts more interesting when playing songs.
Step 1: You will take a look at "London Bridge is Falling Down", in which the left hand plays the chords together.
Step 2: You will take a look at what happens when you break up the left hand chords into two parts.
2. Step 1: Playing Chords TogetherBelow is an animation of "London Bridge is Falling Down" with the left hand chords being played together.
3. Step 2: up Chords into Two PartsBelow is an animation of "London Bridge is Falling Down" with the left hand chords being played in two parts. The left plays the root of the chord first, and then plays the rest of the notes in the chord after that.
4. ConclusionCongratulations, you have just played "London Bridge is Falling Down" using the broken chord pattern. This is one of many different patterns you can use to make the songs you play sound more interesting. Try this pattern with other songs as well!
Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view the lesson with Flash Demos above
|Access free Music Tools
Piano Improvisation for BeginnersLesson 17 | Lesson 18 | Lesson 19 | Lesson 20
Use the Virtual Piano below to practice playing scales in the lessons on this page
Lesson 17 Chord Inversions
How To Improvise Books
How to Play from a Fake Book
A "teach yourself" book introduces you to
Chord building, Various rhythmic styles, and much more
The Ultimate Fake Book
for C Instruments
Shortcuts to Hit Songwriting
26 Proven Techniques for
Writing Songs That Sell
Lesson 21 Pentatonic Scale
50 Free Piano Lessons
- Lesson 1 - Patterns of Piano Keys
- Lesson 2 - Names of White Keys
- Lesson 3 - Names of Black Keys
- Lesson 4 - Piano Grand Staff
- Lesson 8 - Learn to play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
- Lesson 9 - Major Chords
- Lesson 14-Intervals
- Lesson 18-Double Chord Pattern
- Lesson 22-Whole Tone Scale
- Learn Songs - Learn 3 Easy Songs, free Virtual Piano provided
- Chords - Learn how to construct Major Chords & more
- Music Theory - Key Signatures, Major Scales, Intervals & more
- Improvisation - Chord Inversions, and different Chord Patterns
- Techniques - Piano Techniques for beginners
More...... List of Free Piano Lessons
Five Finger Exercise
Access more free Piano Technique lessons - Arpeggios
Le pianiste virtuose, part I for piano solo
Hanon's Exercises for Piano Solo
This book will help to improve your finger dexterity - practice the exercises everyday -
A Dozen a Day: Technical Exercises for the Piano to Be Done Each Day Before Practicing
- Use the virtual piano keyboard below to practice what you've learned in the "Piano Basics" section -
Piano Layout. You can play this Virtual Piano Z-Board in two ways:
- See all of our Free piano lessons
1. Use the computer mouse to click directly onto the key or note (in RED) on the
Virtual Piano to play that note
2. Press the corresponding button (in BLUE) on your computer keyboard to
play that particular note
(Note: You have to first click on the virtual piano once to activate this feature)
e.g. Press "Shift" button on the computer
keyboard to play note "C",
Press "S" to play note "E", and so on.
To play C Major Chord (C-E-G) -
Hold down "Shift"-"S"-"F" on
the computer keyboard all at once, see chart below:
Access Major Chord chart
|To play the left hand chord - Hold down all the keys at the same time (in BLUE) on the computer keyboard to play the chord|
|C chord||C - E - G||Shift - S - F|
|G chord||G - B - D||F - B - N|
|F chord||F - A - C||D - G - SpaceBar|
|Dm chord||D - F - A||A - D - G|
Access the "Piano Basics" section to learn the layout of piano keyboard, and learn how to read
Music Notations. Use this interactive Z-Board to practice playing easy popular songs.
|Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view our Virtual Piano Keyboard below:|
How to play Christmas Songs - Jingle Bells, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, and more
Learn How to play beginner song, Brother John - Free Online piano lesson.
Learn more songs. Use the virtual piano keyboard above to practice this song.
Lesson 6 Learn Songs for Beginners: Brother John
Browse Piano Keyboards
Learn how to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Free Piano Lesson
Learn how to play Major Scale - Watch the video below:
Angels We Have Heard On High | Deck The Halls | Jingle Bells |
This Old Man | Oh Susanna | Yankee Doodle & More!
Free Interactive Music ToolsKeyboard Trainer
Interval Ear Trainer
Scale Ear Trainer
Chord Ear Trainer
Learning with Songs
Access new virtual ZebraKeys Z-Board game to Test your piano skills
Download it for Free in App Store, and you will be able to use this keyboard to play songs we have learned in the Learn Songs Section:
Download Free Sheet Music for Fur Elise
Download Free Sheet Music for Deck The Halls