Lesson 10 - Three Primary Chords
1. IntroductionIn this lesson, you will learn about three chords that can be used to play literally 1000's of songs. These three chords are sometimes called the "primary chords", or the "I, IV, V chords".
2. Playing the I, IV, V Chords in the Key of C MajorEvery key has its own set of I, IV, V chords. Below is an illustration of a major scale in the key of C.
To play the I, IV, V chords in any key, you just have to play a major chord on the 1st, 4th and 5th notes of the major scale of that key. Below is the I chord of the C major scale. It is a major chord built on the 1st note of the C major scale.
Below is the IV chord of the C major scale. It is a major chord built on the 4th note of the C major scale.
Below is the V chord of the C major scale. It is a major chord built on the 5th note of the C major scale.
3. How Does the I, IV, V Chords Apply to Playing and Writing SongsThe I, IV, V chords can be used to play harmony for 1000's of songs.
4. Finding the I, IV, V Chords in All 12 KeysYou can use the major scale to help you locate the I, IV, V chords. The I chord is the major chord that is built on the 1st note of any major scale. The IV chord is the chord that is built on the 4th note of any major scale. The V chord is the chord that is built on the 5th note of any major scale.
Below is a list of the I, IV, V chords starting on all 12 keys.
A, D, E
Bb, Eb, F
B, E, F#
C, F, G
Db, Gb, Ab
D, G, A
Eb, Ab, Bb
E, A , B
F, Bb, C
F#, B, C#
G, C, D
Ab, Db, Eb
5. ConclusionThe I, IV, V chords can be used to harmonize most of the songs you hear on the radio. In this lesson, you reviewed the I, IV, V chords in the key of C major. There is a set of I, IV, V chords for each of the 12 keys.
|Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view the lesson with Flash Demos above|
Access free Virtual Piano Keyboard
to practice playing Major Chords in all 12 keys (refer to the Major Chord Chart at the end of Lesson 9 below).
Lesson 8 Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Beginner Chord Lessons
Lesson 9 Major Chord
Lesson 10 THREE PRIMARY CHORDS
Access FREE Chord Ear Trainer above to find any Chords
Download Free Sheet Music
Alfred's Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course
The New, Easy and Fun Way to
Teach Yourself to Play( Book & CD)
Lesson 11 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression
Lesson 12 12 KEYS OF MUSIC
Free Interactive Music Toolsto TEST your piano skills:
50 Free Piano Lessons
- Lesson 1 - Patterns of Piano Keys
- Lesson 2 - Names of White Keys
- Lesson 3 - Names of Black Keys
- Lesson 4 - Piano Grand Staff
- Lesson 8 - Learn to play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
- Lesson 9 - Major Chords
- Lesson 14-Intervals
- Lesson 18-Double Chord Pattern
- Lesson 22-Whole Tone Scale
More..... List of Free Piano Lessons
Five Finger Exercise
This book will help to improve your finger dexterity - practice the exercises everyday -
A Dozen a Day: Technical Exercises for the Piano to Be Done Each Day Before Practicing
- Use the virtual piano keyboard below to practice what you've learned in the "Piano Basics" Section - Piano Layout. You can play this Virtual Piano Z-Board in two ways:
- See all of our Free piano lessons
1. Use the computer mouse to click directly onto the key or note (in RED) on the
Virtual Piano to play that note
2. Press the corresponding button (in BLUE) on your computer keyboard to
play that particular note
(Note: You have to first click on the virtual piano once to activate this feature)
e.g. Press "Shift" on the computer
keyboard to play note "C",
Press "S" to play note "E", and so on.
To play C Major Chord (C-E-G) -
Hold down "Shift"-"S"-"F" keys on
the computer keyboard all at once, see chart below:
Access Major Chord chart
|To play the left hand chord - Press all the keys (in BLUE)
all at once to play the chord
|C chord||C - E - G||Shift - S - F|
|G chord||G - B - D||F - B - N|
|F chord||F - A - C||D - G - Sp|
|Dm chord||D - F - A||A - D - G|
Access the "Piano Basics" section to learn the layout of piano keyboard, and learn how to read
Music Notations. Use this interactive Z-Board to practice playing easy popular songs.
|Click to Install Flash Plugin if you cannot view our Virtual Piano Keyboard below:|
How to play beginner song, Brother John - use the virtual piano keyboard above to practice this song. The notes for the right hand melody are:
||||C D E C|||||C D E C|||||E F G|||||E F G||||
||||G A G F E C|||||G A G F E C|||||C G C|||||C G C||||
How to play Major Scales in all 12 keys
G Major Scale - G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G
- Learn Songs - Learn 3 Easy Songs, free Virtual Piano provided
- Chords - Learn how to construct Major Chords & more
- Music Theory - Key Signatures, Major Scales, Intervals & more
- Improvisation - Chord Inversions, and different Chord Patterns
- Techniques - Piano Techniques for beginners